Friday 24 January 2014

24: Beauty Sleep

Image Courtesy of Google Images
(not strictly for students...)

I just want to start off by saying that I typed the word 'relax' into google while prepping for this post and most of the images were of beaches and oh my goodness did it make me want to go on holiday. So I apologise if this post makes you want to do the same, we'll have to make a vow to help each other through the remaining winter period and hope someone will whisk us away to a white sandy beach sometime in the near future.

Anyway...

A few days ago I was reading the lovely Naomi's blog oh hello mango and came across this post on sleep remedies which I urge you to read. She gave some great advice and as I have always struggled with the process of falling asleep (honestly, some nights it can take me more than two hours to drift off), I thought I'd share some of the tips and tricks I've learnt. Since going back to uni/work/school after Christmas, I'm sure you, like me, revel in any sleep you can get and we all know the important of beauty sleep. So if you're struggling, give a few of these a go - 

Why not try having a bath. This was Naomi's first suggestion too and it's one of the best tricks for relaxing in an evening. Studies have shown that the slow decrease in body temperature after you get out of the bath makes you feel sleepy so you're more likely to quickly and peacefully dose off once in bed.

If you've got an overactive mind like me and struggle to sleep because of all the thoughts going around in your head then try writing them down. I often can't sleep because I'm thinking of the things I need to do the next do so compiling a quick list before I go to bed means those thoughts are down on paper and out of my head means I don't have to worry about forgetting them and I can deal with them in the morning. It also works if you've got some worries stirring up, stick them down on paper so you can get a good nights sleep.

Also try burning a candle before going to sleep. Lavender scents work a treat for helping you fall asleep and stay asleep (obviously remember to blow out the candle before you actually settle down). But if you find other scents that relax you then by all means burn it away.

Try not to drink caffeinated drinks in the evening as it will keep you awake at night. Caffeine takes a while to wear off so while having a cup of tea of coffee in the morning works wonders to wake you up, it'll do the same in the evening too. Have some lemon water or warm milk instead.

If you're thinking more long-term then try not to use your bedroom for anything other than sleeping and by this I mean working, reading, watching TV, etc. Your bedroom should be limited to a place where you relax and therefore can fall asleep more easily. 

Also as a long-term piece of advice, try keeping your sleep pattern in check. I love sleeping in, don't get me wrong, and I do allow myself to indulge at least once in the week. However maintaining a regular sleep pattern will do you the world of good in the long-term and it means that you're not battling with what may feel like a minor case of jetlag when you've slept late during the weekends/holidays and need to wake up at 6am for work/school/uni the next day. 

Have a look at This Works too as they sell some great products to help you sleep at night such as pillow sprays and candles. I received a sample of one of their products which you just roll onto your pulse points and it helps you breathe easier therefore allowing you to relax more and comfortably fall asleep. It actually smells much like Olbas Oil so it does the trick.

Do you have any tips and tricks for getting a good nights sleep?
I'd love to hear in the comments! Also, don't forget to check out the lovely Naomi's blog who inspired this post in the first place!

8 comments:

  1. I think forcing myself out of bed at a reasonable hour means I'm almost guaranteed a decent slumber the next night. Great tips! This post is perfect for my Student Link-Up (Every week thurs-sun). Hope you will get involved :) x
    Oh Hey Kayspray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks so much for reading my blog and commenting! I've just submitted my link. It's a great idea and I'm looking forward to getting involved with it! x

      Delete
  2. I love these tips! I am terrible at sticking to a regular sleep schedule & it really hinders my ability to get up in the mornings for uni and work! And I have heard from a lot of people that using your room just to sleep does wonders, when I move into my own place this is something I will definetly be trying!

    Fantasitc post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! Over the Christmas holidays my sleep pattern was all over the place and I really struggling my first week back at uni! But thank you so much for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  3. I came across this in my feed and then realised it was me you were talking about! Haha thank you so much!
    You have some great tips too :) I need to keep my room as a sleep only zone but it's really hard when you have a big family and need some space! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you are more than welcome! I love reading your blog! I can imagine it's hard. I only live with my mum at the moment so it's quite easy to find a quiet spot outside of my room to do some work and such! xx

      Delete
  4. It's some lovely advise, though for the long term idea with having your bedroom as a place where you only relax, is not as easy if you still live at home, then I find it more comfortable to have my "safe place" in my room :)
    The other advises where great though. I also write down my thoughts and have relaxing baths before I go to bed. A tip that's helped me personally has been making a playlist to listen to before I fall a sleep where I've put all my favourite quiet songs on.
    It was a really lovely post to read

    Christina xx
    http://christinathorup.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it must be hard, especially if you've got a bigger family. It's just me and my mum at home so I find it easy to find a quiet spot in the house!

      Thanks great, thanks for sharing your tip! :) xx

      Delete